Sunday 23 June 2013

A weekend away.

Denise and I have been telling each other that we should have a weekend away soon, 'cause it's been ages since we've been anywhere. What better choice than to go to Auckland so we can spend some quality time with the A-Team at the hospital. I'll bet none of you can think of a better getaway. Anyway, Denise sneaks a couple more days off - she has the most amazingly caring and thoughtful boss - and off we go. This is Thursday, 'cause it's a six hour drive and the appointment at the clinic is at 08:00 Friday morning.

We arrive at the clinic about 15 minutes early, fill in the compulsory form to make sure I'm not some imposter who just wandered up off the street. Then Nurse Smilealot takes us for a tour and we get to see the interrogation room. This is just two offices with a sliding portion that's open and a few chairs facing what looks like a cheap version of a reclining armchair and a flat screen TV. Then they teach us a new version of the waiting game. This time we get to play in our own little room, and every so often Nurse Smilealot pops her head in to see that we're playing nicely. After about an hour and a half she threatens us with the promise of a cup of tea and we think we might be able to escape to the coffee shop, but no.... we have to finish the waiting game first.

Then Dr Mumble Something comes in to warn us about what's in store for us when they take us into the interrogation room, and off we go. Of course I'm the centre of attention - well, my nose is really but we normally hang out together - and I get the reclining chair. Dr Mumble Something then explains to a group of teenagers that are staring at me, why my nose is worthy of serious consideration and mentions to the room that I'm from Australia and have worked in the Islands. Everyone looks at one another, nod in a sage manner and then turn their attention back to me. Dr Mumble Something then arms himself with a fishing rod, tells me he's going to shove it up my nose, and seems to be surprised that this is not my first experience doing an imitation of a fish. Everyone then shifts their attention to the TV screen to watch the latest episode of "Snott - a boogie's real life adventure". Thankfully for all my TV career is short lived, so then a few guys with reassuring smiles and very white teeth line up to poke and prod for awhile. A couple of them wave tissues over various parts of my face to see if I'm ticklish while repeating the words; "can you feel that? can you feel that?". I keep repeating "yes" while trying not to slap their hands away, and then suddenly I'm dismissed.

We're told we can now make the long awaited trip to the coffee shop if we promise to be back within three quarters of an hour. We have a coffee and spend a bit of time watching the denizens of the coffee shop, then go back to our room and start a new game of Waiting Around.

After awhile Dr. I'mthe Bossdude (who looks like Adam's twin brother - but better looking) comes in to have a chat. He tells us everything we already know, then tells us the margins on the BCC from my ear are too small and they'll have to do it again. To top that he then tells me I have another BCC on my right temple. So, not to be outdone, I show him a lump on my right arm and he tells me that that's another one that'll have to come out. He then explains to us that all the exciting stuff will happen in Hastings, except the pathology, that will be done in Auckland, and then races off to answer his pager. (All a bit Grey's Anatomy, but that's OK.) On the way out, Nurse Smilealot meets us in the corridor and gives us each a packed lunch, so we're all set and off we go.

All in all not something I'd give five stars to on Trip Advisor, but we did play tourist for a bit. We visited a real shopping mall, spent a bit of time at the museum and a bit more time with Serena and Adam. The trip up and back was uneventful except that my wife pinched all the nice lollies... again!!

Today (Monday) I've had so many phone calls from the hospital that I've decided to divert the phone to a call centre in India. The end result of the calls is that the surgery has been confirmed to happen on the 2nd July. (I think I'm busy that day). But the next step is to go and meet my new best friend, the anaesthetist. This happens on Thursday after I finish as a contestant on a quiz show at the hospital called; "All About Chris". If I answer enough questions correctly I win an overnight stay in Hawkes Bay Hospital.

It's all getting a bit real now so it'd be good if you guys could all keep your smiley faces in place and keep posting all the good stuff that's happening in your lives. I'll let you know if I win the quiz.

2 comments:

  1. With any luck, this post will get posted. Not like the other one, whilst brilliant in it's execution, was poor in it's delivery. Happy to see that you're are still on here, blogging away. We have joined Google+ but still can't manage to navigate the pages. Someone should tell Bill. So if you could please keep sending the links so we can "read all about it", we would appreciate it. In the meanwhile, I will keep typing in the hope that you will get to see "our" blogs. Sending this test through now.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It worked. Bloody computers....only as good as what is punched into them!
    Very excited!

    So, next Tuesday. At least you will get that nose job that you have been after for so long. Bob said that you need to write a book as your posts and blogs, whilst the content stinks, have been very novelist like. We had missed a few entries but soon made up for that by my reading them all out to Bob, as he was in the kitchen, like every good man should be. To you it must seem like an eternity between diagnosis and operation day, but to us it has been but a short time.
    You will be in our thoughts come Tuesday.
    -hugs from across the pond....xxooxx

    ReplyDelete