Wednesday 29 May 2013

An aside

About four years - I think that's how long I've worked for this company… it’s now Thursday 23rd May 2013 and I’m at work. I’d been mulling this over and decided I should do the right thing and let everyone at work know that I've got cancer, what’s happening now, and and that I’m going to need some time off going forward. So I stand in the middle of the office and tell everyone - including the boss - what’s going on, and then the questions start. Turns out I’m not good with questions about this stuff so I bolt outside and get back to work.

The boss comes out and assures me that there won’t be any issues, that he will arrange cover for me while I’m away and that I should make up an appointment schedule for him so he's kept in the loop. So off I go, happy with the knowledge that I’ve done the right thing and that all will be good in the end.

The following Monday as I’m getting ready to leave on my run, the boss comes out and asks to have a catch up before I leave. OK says I. Later on I wander into his office where his first words are, “close the door”. He then proceeds to tell me that they are going to “can” my run and contract it out and that I now have two options. Either I can resign so I’m not bothered by the pressures of work, or they can make me redundant so I’m not bothered by the pressures of work. He recommends that I go for the redundancy ‘cause I’ll get an extra two weeks pay. So,now I don't have a job. But, I do get an extra two weeks redundancy pay. Thanks for the four years of effort, Chris.

More on this to come later.



3 comments:

  1. I wont say quite what I did via skype but a few choice words come to mind. I should start a boycott campaign around this company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No argument from this end ...... arseholes!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete